vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

Comment by Rich Feiller on March 6, 2012 at 5:09pm
Yup that be painful on the body.
Comment by lawrence Taylor on March 6, 2012 at 5:16pm

my tv prog  is  over  now  will post the  first  bit.....doh!  Only  for real diehard  enthusiasts wanting to  look at  magnificent  vermicompost.... or  people getting  bored watching  paint  dry :)

That was evil work, nearly an hour  in less than 6 inches of  compost bent  over like that, and  I  have very  good  abs...worked some  back  muscles not used in a  while I think.

Comment by Wayne on May 14, 2012 at 6:57pm

Why not build a sifter with wood and 1/8" hardware cloth. The separating would have taken you five minutes. ;-)

Comment by Matthew Whitmore on August 21, 2012 at 5:45pm

I would of build a sifter with 1x2 wood and 1/8" hardware cloth built it to fit the size you need for the bins. Plus whats with the rubber gloves?

Comment by Rich Feiller on August 22, 2012 at 7:34am
If the castings and bedding are as damp as they should be very little if anything would go through a 1/8" mesh
Comment by lawrence Taylor on August 22, 2012 at 7:45am

My  thoughts  entirely  Frank,  I did  not  respond  to  the  post because  he has only been here  for a  week and  that system would  not  work.

why  I wear  gloves  is  well known to  the  vermicomposting  community

How  is  that  evil  twin of  yours?   LOL

Bok

Comment by Rich Feiller on August 22, 2012 at 8:43am
He's up to the same old poop!
Frank
Comment by Sue on August 22, 2012 at 11:35am

You're right about the sifter Larry. I made a smaller one to try and it didn't work for me, not with the 1/4 or 1/8 screen. worms got through the 1/4 and with the 1/8 I end up with lots of pelleted poop. Maybe  the VC being too damp for the screen. So back to the dump and pile and sort but I used a chair to sit on to ease my back, lol.

Comment by Andrew from California on August 22, 2012 at 12:20pm

Sue, you definitely need to dry out the VC a little before sending it through a sifter. The drying out also means there are few worms to worry about. 1/4" is fine if you don't mind chunky VC. 1/8" is beautiful, better-than-commercial-grade VC. It's the stuff I give to friends and family with the instructions: "Use sparingly; a little goes a long way."

Comment by Sue on August 22, 2012 at 6:07pm

Thx Andrew. I now don't sift the VC anymore, even for selling. They don't mind. And I thought that the damper  (not wetter) VC will hold more MO than the drier.

You need to be a member of vermicomposters.com to add comments!

Join vermicomposters.com