Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
I finished cleaning out my outside worm bin today. I'm moving it inside to my garage, since I have a lot better luck that way.
Some will remember that I buried a mixing tub in the ground and added 3 lbs of worms. They composted about 75 lbs of rabbit manure and a whole bunch of newsprint, coir (when the bin got too wet), and probably close to 150+ lbs of vegetables, coffee grounds, etc. I really don't know the total weight of the inputs, but it was a lot. I removed two 5 gallon buckets packed full the rim of worm castings.
As a few predicted when I posted the pictures last spring, it was less than a perfect worm bin. My biggest error was using leftover wood scraps and making the lid out of two pieces. I should have purchased a new sheet of plywood. That way the worms would have been protected from the afternoon thunderstorms and all-day rains that we so often receive here in Florida.
My second biggest error was not having drainage holes in the bottom. That's not a problem when it's not rainy season, but it does rain a lot. I think a better lid would have lessened the issue.