Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
The old Rubbermaid-type worm bin set up...
...and the new, improved wood worm bin...
Which I made myself and which has now survived quite nicely through one cold, snowy winter! Hooray!
Note the pvc inserts (with wire mesh holding drainage gravel) to protect the insulation from getting saturated. I used (natural silicone rubber) caulk to make the seams, corners, and around the pvc inserts; all watertight around the insulation. I raised the whole bin on a pallet to increase airflow through the drainage holes and to keep the bottom frame of the bin from rotting out. Air flow does not seem to be a problem (yet. My opinion of this may change after summer).
See below: the center divider is made of 1x4 slats in a U shaped channel that I can remove if I decide that I want one big bin; but l think I will probably stick with two sides for ease of harvesting.
These pictures were taken in late January (between snow storms). The left side of the bin is now full of nearly finished vermicompost and I will shortly be sifting & moving the unfinished materials to the right side with new straw bedding and the worms, and using the finished VC harvest to prep/fertilize my raised garden beds. I'll give a quick update after I harvest.
And, yes -- I still have one rubbermaid type tub in the kitchen just in case the outdoor bin is a summertime hundred degree- plus disaster- wish me luck, and I'll give you an update after the California summer heatwave test.