while my first bin was not a complete failure, i've learned that it needed holes...a lot more holes. so, i bought the same model bin form ikea (slugis) and got a soldering iron.
sitting on the balcony, i made dozens of holes. i started getting light-headed, took a break, then came back. i was armed with a mask and a fan, pointing away from me. lots of melting plastic. i think i may add more holes before transferring my little buddies into the new bin... internal moisture seems to be a recurring problem, and i know my mom's Worm Bin of Awesomeness has a ton of air holes and drainage slits on the bottom. i have a lot of drainage holes on the bottom so far, but i may join them and make slits like hers... the air holes at the top are a bit more delicate to make, since i want them to be as small as possible to prevent flies. i'm really not sure how many to make, but i suppose doubling what i have now (2 rows per side) can't hurt.
another thing is my mom has actually gotten worm tea. i have yet to see anymore than a few drops. but then i only have about 10 drainage holes and maybe 20 very large air holes in my current bin....holes large enough for house flies to get into.
checking in with the worms today, fond a ball of them fornicating like mad. they were all balled up on top of the cloth...which is coming apart at the seams. apparently, the worms like to eat cotton thread too. i suppose love really is in the air...some of the gnats were mating too.