Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
I also purchased some wire clothesline to make my shelf support.
After drilling holes 1.5" apart from each other above the door, I wrapped the wire through them and knotted each end. I put 3 layers of dry newspaper on top of the wire.
I placed some almost finished vermicompost that had already been harvested and was dry as well as some dry UCG with a couple of filters as the first layer (about 2 inches worth).
I used a spray bottle to dampen it a little before taking some mostly composted material from another worm bin that was too wet from the rain we've been having. After adding in some rotten strawberries, I put in some nice half-composted bedding from my Gusanito which is a little on the dry side at the moment (so I sprayed my active tray with my bottle as well). You can see the strawberries on the left and the remains of an avocado on the right (it was put whole in my Gusanito on August 20-rats took a few bites out of it when it fell on the ground). The pit split open and sprouted - the worms are all over it.
On top I placed torn-up egg cartons that have been soaked to make a good layer of 3-4 inches.
On top of that I placed a thick layer of bougainvillea flowers that had fallen on the ground and gotten wet in this morning's rain. The worms love them and they make wonderfully light, fluffy vermicompost along with the egg cartons.
The very top layer was a mixture of both dry and damp leaves that had fallen from our fruit and Plumera trees.
Hopefully it will function well for my co-worker's 7 year-old. I chose a clear container hoping that it would allow her to watch the vermicomposting process easier. I'm going to let it settle a little bit before putting the lid on and allow them to recoup a little bit before taking them to their new home.
Below you can see the black cloth that I attached to the bin with velcro on the side so the front can open and close.