I thought i would show you all how much the compost has processed 2 months into the flow through. The bin is continuing to process the compost i had thought was nearly done, settling down a lot more than i thought it ever would. I have before and after photos. The first photo was taken on the day i first put the compost from my fabric flow through into the blue barrel. The second photo was taken today. I have harvested a total of 5 gallons from the bin. And collected a pound of worms for my sister in law.
When i first put the compost in the bin there was 30 gallons of compost. I took five gallons out and today the processed compost is at the 15 gallon mark. Its amazing how much more processed the compost becomes in the flow through.
In the second photo the dark compost showing is a dark grayish fiber. It is packed down very hard i don't know how thick it is but it appears there is no worms in this fiber stuff all the worms are on top of it or trapped under it. The layer is a clear dividing line in the FT. I believe when this fibrous layer reaches the bars there will be no worms in it. But in the mean time all the compost i added to the bin needs to be removed before i stop getting worms in the harvests.
A look at the underside. The stuff that looks like paper is plastic from cardboard i shredded that had a plastic coating on it. Someday i will get all the plastic out of the bin. And i believe the string is from a teabag probably they were fake fibers.
All in all i am very pleased with the flow through. It just keeps amazing me how much different it is from a Rubbermaid tub.