Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
After deciding a flow through might be right for me, it was time to think about what the requirements were. The VB24 was an appealing and solid design, and about the right size for my situation, so I used it as my basis. A FT that can be quickly disassembled and reassembled was needed, with a move pending in the not-too-distant future. I wanted a design I could easily build with only hand tools, so I decided on rigid foam board for the sides. I wanted the option to slap on a different worm box in case the foam board didn't work out, and I didn't want wood touching VC.
Starting with a quick back-of-the-napkin drawing I put together a materials list. $30 and a few hours into it I had my flow through kit ready to go. The grate box and top frame were glued up and reinforced, and the kit was ready to assemble. The fully assembled base can take a variety of boxes, and I considered a 65-gallon refuse cart with the bottom removed. But for now I started with a rigid foam box, with the thought that I'll just have to see how it holds up. I'm optimistic the base will hold up over time, thought it will depend on the conduit. Here you can see that VC doesn't make contact with any wood.
I haven't set it up yet - I decided I needed to construct a platform dolly with combined leg bracing and casters. This additional $20 outlay brings the cost up to the half a c-note mark.
I plan to stock it with two 20-gallon totes of pure Eh. I'm in the process of adding Lrs to my species mix and need the totes for this endeavor. The Eh tend to go where the moisture is in the totes, so I'm hoping this holds up in the FT. Hopefully the open bottom and my conservative moisture management practices will keep the action closer to the top.
The outside dimensions yield 8 cu ft (60 gallons), but the usable inner dimension is reduced to 6.1 cu ft (46 gallons) due to the thickness of the foam board.