vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

I was asked to write a blog describing how I built my 50 gallon flow through worm bin so here goes.

 

Material list

  • 1 - 50 Gallon Rubbermaid rolling bin
  • 1 - 10 foot length of 3/4 inch PVC electrical conduit
  • 5 -  3/4" PVC male conduit connectors
  • 5 - 3/4" PVC tee fittings
  • 15 - 1" Duraflo Louver vents
  • 1 - Duraflow 14" x 8" plastic Soffit Vent
  • 75 - 3" Deck Screws
  • 10 - Self Tapping 1 and a 1/4" sheet metal screws

 

Tools

  • Hack saw
  • 1 and 1/8" hole saw
  • 1 " hole saw
  • electric drill
  • Dremel tool and a cutting wheel

Here is the finished 50 Gallon Bin from the front you can see at the bottom of the bin the ends of the harvesting pipes capped by the 3/4" male pipe connectors.  I have cut the threaded part of the pipe connector off because I didn't need them and I thought it looked better

You can also see the 14" x 8" Duraflo Soffit Vent, which is covering the 6" x 8" harvesting hole I cut with my Dremel tool and a cutting wheel.

 

Here is the back of the bin showing the harvesting pipes capped with the 3/4" PVC tee's that are used to turn the harvesting rods.  I put a cut off broom handle through the tees to prevent them from being turned accidentally, and to keep the tee;s horizontal and matched for appearance.  If you look closely at the tees you can see on the top a silver screw head.  I screwed the tee to the pipe as opposed to glueing so if need be they can be taken apart.  I also screwed the 3/4" male PVC connectors to the pipe the same way.

 

Here is the inside of the bin.  At the top you can see the fifteen 1" Louver vents for the warm air to escape out of which draws cool air up from the bottom.  they are half way under the rim for appearance and waterproofness 

At the bottom of the bin 2 feet down you can see the harvesting pipes with the 3" deck screws sticking out.  For the pipes I drilled pilot holes 1and a 1/2 inches apart and then alternated the screws from side to side so that the long protruding parts are on 3" centers.

 

If you look closely at the top of the bin just under the rim you can see the 1" louver vents in each corner of the bin, there are also 2 more hidden behind the front handle.  From the top to the centre of the pipes is 24 and a 1/2 inches

 

So That's it, here is a diagonal view of the finished bin, it's now ready to fill with bedding and soon some red wrigglers.  Looks great in theory, I'll let you know if it works.

 

Here is a photo of the 3" and 1" Duraflo Louver vents along with a male 3/4" pipe connector.  The pipe connector is used to stop the front of the harvester pipes from retreating into the bin.  As mentioned above I cut the threaded part of the connector off for appearances sake. 


Views: 8182

Comment by Mrs. Gordon on October 30, 2011 at 10:23am
Thanks for taking the time out to compose this blog! The material list is great since I'm not very savvy at hardware store I can bring the list and ask for assistance finding the items. I'm really hoping to find the vents here in the U.S.
Comment by George on October 31, 2011 at 6:22am

This is fantastic Richard and is my next project.

I wish I had seen this when I was first getting started.

Thanks.

Comment by Andrew from California on October 31, 2011 at 9:49am
Great write-up, Richard. I've added it to the list: http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/diy-flow-through-bins-a
Comment by Joel King on December 7, 2011 at 6:36pm

Thanks  for posting such detailed designs, I wound up building my bin very much like yours.

Comment by Richard Matthews on December 8, 2011 at 5:56am

You're welcome Joel.  Hope you enjoy your bin

Comment by Stu on February 11, 2012 at 10:06pm

Nice! That's pretty slick!

Comment by Bonnie Thompson on February 15, 2012 at 11:55am

Ok, I have looked at a lot of great plans but my question is how do you stack the inside and where do  you introduce the worms. Especially Alabama Jumpers

Comment by Richard Matthews on February 15, 2012 at 2:24pm

Not sure I understand the question, i don't stack the inside, I line the bottom with 6 sheets of newspaper and add wet torn up cardboard.  Then I add the composite material and wait 2 weeks, then I dump the worms on top.

Hope this helps

Comment

You need to be a member of vermicomposters.com to add comments!

Join vermicomposters.com

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service