Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
At last I have managed to add photos taken as the work progressed.
The final gap between the rods was 3 inches, with the rods being 1/2 inch diameter, the pitch centres being then 3&1/2 inches.
I am not conversant with the method of fitting my photos into the text and so they appear under 'Photos' and are dated: 21 March 2017, by clicking the single picture, access then shows the series of 12 pictures.
Please be free to send me any queries and suggestions, for…Continue
Added by PIERS DIESTLER on March 23, 2017 at 4:10pm — No Comments
I will say that previously the bedding used in my wormeries was from a collection of Autumn leaves. Although leaves suited the worms I found that there was a continuing build up of slugs, due to having collected the leaves from earth beneath the trees? . I would later see upon inspection, clusters of slugs eggs so a bigger population was then likely!
Perhaps leaves from a paved/concreted area would get over this problem? (Any comments?)
Hessian sacking I found worked well if…Continue
,Time has gone by since my last blog and here is a further development. I had mentioned the ventilator in the lid previously. I am aware that numerous members state that due to using a feed through system they do not have to collect exudate as is the case of a stacked tray system. I found that over time quite a lot of liquid had drained into the containers below (three flower troughs). Further, on opening the lid there were always a number of worms either on the walls or adjacent to the…Continue
Here I will mention that previously I had only to raise the lid and note the number of worms coming to the top of the chamber. This would then allow me to consider what may be the cause of their trouble. I had for a number of days lifted the lid and there seemed no problem in this direction,
I began to be aware of a slight smell within the garage, a few more days and this became more powerful! I found the source of the smell: a large number of worms were found shrivelled in the…Continue
Before I begin I want to say that as a previous novice I found that references to bedding somewhat baffling. The reason was that no distinction was made between the bedding used in starting off a wormery and that used to cover the wormery contents. Perhaps the prefix of lower and top might be used to avoid any confusion? Please feel free to comment.
More of my MK4 experiences:
As I previously stated when the worms are not happy they begin to rise up the inner walls, their…Continue
Added by PIERS DIESTLER on October 11, 2015 at 2:10am — No Comments
The moist atmosphere within the cabinet had been overlooked.
The opening for the ventilator in the lid, which is partly of steel, began to rust. The rust was cleaned up and car underseal applied.
Non of the worms were found to have suffered!
Added by PIERS DIESTLER on August 27, 2015 at 7:11am — No Comments
Here I wish to explain my MK4 wormery. The main chamber of which is the insulated cabinet. I was looking for a deep freezer cabinet, a fridge would have had fittings for milk bottles!. The one I found was approx. a 2ft cube...The back was cut out by using a Stanley pad saw from inside the cabinet. (It was a Necht N1 that had been dumped minus the compressor). That done I made a wooden frame to take the rods, the cabinet now sits on the frame which is 1 1/4in wide all round. The door now…Continue