Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
Six weeks ago I finished re-building my FT. Some things I have learned since then.
1) Worms like crushed leaves - but not if they are too dry.
2) Drawers without slider mechanisms will absorb moisture and swell shut and be almost impossible to open
3) My worms can handle more food than I originally thought
4) A worm bin can act as a work area for sifting leaves, drying out VC etc...
1) I was placing food then dry crushed…Continue
04/14/2011Update- Well the new FT is finished and I am very happy with the outcome. Pictures can be found at http://vermicomposters.ning.com/photo/albums/new-flow-through-and-old. The first pictures are what happens when you use spray in foam insulation in a wall - bad idea! The rest of the pictures are of the new bin during and after construction.
Other than a few small mistakes…Continue
I've been watching the site for about a month now. Researching, looking into the FT designs and looking at the harvester for separating the VC. In the past I have had a couple of 3 X 3 frames that have ¼ and 1/8 screening on them. They are a pain to use. I decided to make a rotary harvester. I'm a little…Continue