Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
I have an insulated flow through that is working great and the worms seem to be happy. I live in the Chicago area and the bin in located in an un-heated detached garage. I use a painters light…Continue
Started this discussion. Last reply by Steve Lambert Nov 17, 2013.
Six weeks ago I finished re-building my FT. Some things I have learned since then.
1) Worms like crushed leaves - but not if they are too dry.
2) Drawers without slider mechanisms will absorb moisture and swell shut and be almost impossible to open
3) My worms can handle more food than I originally thought
4) A worm bin can act as a work area for sifting leaves, drying out VC etc...
1) I was placing food then dry crushed…Continue
Posted on May 30, 2011 at 6:30pm — 3 Comments
04/14/2011Update- Well the new FT is finished and I am very happy with the outcome. Pictures can be found at http://vermicomposters.ning.com/photo/albums/new-flow-through-and-old. The first pictures are what happens when you use spray in foam insulation in a wall - bad idea! The rest of the pictures are of the new bin during and after construction.
Other than a few small mistakes…Continue
Posted on April 11, 2011 at 7:30am — 3 Comments
Posted on October 6, 2010 at 6:26pm — 6 Comments
I've been watching the site for about a month now. Researching, looking into the FT designs and looking at the harvester for separating the VC. In the past I have had a couple of 3 X 3 frames that have ¼ and 1/8 screening on them. They are a pain to use. I decided to make a rotary harvester. I'm a little…Continue
Posted on June 29, 2010 at 7:00pm — 6 Comments