I have a 32 gal RM bin with ANC s which is about 9 mo old. I started with a half pound of worms from Bruce G. using Michigan peat and feeding worm chow. I started each bin off with one cu ft of black peat. My biggest problem is trying to visually determine when the VC is sufficiently processed. I have been giving the worms 3 months time between harvests at a constant bin temp of about 60 deg. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
I am going to start the next 3 mo cycle using cold compost bedding which is made up of leaves, grass clippings and garden waste. This material is unfinished with the components still being easily identified. I will continue to feed worm chow and may try making some worm tea to be used as a soil drench.
Thanks Jim for contacting Karen Prange and asking if you can send me a few EE cocoons. I hope she says yes. I have found some great bedding for them and a new rubbermaid tub.Guess I better keep them in something a lot smaller than their 30 gal tub. I dont want them to get lost. Anyway, thanks for looking into it. I really appreciate your help.
I thought there was only 1 way to make vermicompost or castings or whatever it is supposed to be called.I don't know how good the real results are but I bought the book : 14 day composting for converting everything to castings in 14 days. What I really wanted to know or try is if it is true and if it was I want to do it. I want the dry castings and that is what I need to produce faster. EFs might do enough in a year Africans will do it much faster,I think.
After 3 weeks I can see that moisture is going to be my main problem. I may switch to something like Boreal Wormer's inverting pail, when I can get hold of a pail, and just transfer the bag to it. Then I could just turn the bag plus pail upside down and undo the cord to harvest.
Jim, about the inverting pail system: I think you are right that adding the bag to the pail might complicate things :P. Thanks for the tip about pail sources though. For the moment I will persevere with my home made bag in a laundry bin. I've just altered the environment a bit with some loose plastic sheeting to cut off some of the air flow, and I will wait a few days to see how that works before going on a pail quest :).
I got myself a pail, finally. I will make a second, inverting bin and transfer some worms to it as a buffer in case anything goes wrong with the bag. The bag is staying moist now that I have put some plastic between the bag and the perforated walls of the laundry hamper, and the worms seem happy with that. Air flow seems to still be pretty good.
Jim, I think I will incorporate ideas from both Mike and Thomas Vincent. I do have the original tight fitting lid for the pail which will work for the top as you suggested, but I also have a melamine dinner plate which I picked up at the thrift store for 50cents, as an alternative option. I will take photos of the project as I go, and hope that I will be able to post them on my page.