Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums
I decided not to go the disassembled pallet route, turns out they are extremely difficult to take apart, and the boards aren't all that great. Instead I used 1"x6"'s and already cut balusters (1.25"x1.25"). For the grating i made interchanging sets, one of nylon cord and the other of just some thin cotton string (you can see the thickness difference in the picture) at 1.5" apart, so when I take out the cotton string it will be 3" apart. I also used some poly-stain, just to see what it was like, it's not so great. If I make another I would just use a polyurethane seal, as after three days I can still smell the stain and I don't think it's all that well sealed.
I put several layers of newspaper like material (I get tons of ads a week) I made sure to stay away from glossy sheets. on top of that I put what I had of nearly finished compost (picture), Then added the contents of two of my bins that we're well on their way.
I'm eventually going to add some 2x4's to the top (have a few laying around) to give a few more inches and flatten out the top so I can make a cover. right now I'm just using some cardboard. I did end up cutting the drawer down so it was only about 4 inches high so I could drop the rope another 3 or so inches. If Google's conversions are correct, this bin should have around 25 gallons of composting volume. It's also being kept outside, it probably would be possible to make one that stays inside, but I'm lazy.