vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

thinning out adults for faster population growth

as an experiment i have (4) 2x4 FT's

i removed most of the adults from two of them and left the juvies and cocoons. from the other two bins i left the adults in. the result was amazing. where the adults were removed the juvies have just exploded and not only that but they are close to the size of the adults in the bins i did not thin out. while i have read that the same weight mass of worm EF's irrespective of individual size will produce the same amount of VC, if divided they will grow larger and produce more with the same amount of worms plus reproduction in a uncrowded bin. i created 3 bins of worms from what i thinned out of the two.

last night i pulled about 10 lbs of worms out of one of the two remaining bins and will do the same with the fourth bin tonight.

have to put the adults in totes until i get their new homes built.

what have been your experiences or have you tried this? 

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I's amazing how you guys are talking/writing about your worms in the tens of thousands bracket and soon to be hundreds of thousands. I can only dream of those numbers and I'm into my 3rd year now. Mind you, I started with only 1.5 lb.

even with my fascination of God's handiwork Sue; after a few worms it becomes work. i need to build at least 4 more wood FT's in the next few days to meet my objectives. :-) i am no where near the level of worms i had 35 years ago those were LR's.

Sue i don't know what your goals are: selling worms, VC, or AVCT but, you should have quite a herd yourself by now.  

Sam, what kind of FT are you thinking to build?

i go to several different forums, trucks, hot rods, aquaponics, gardening, guns etc and most of them use the same templates and are easy to work, this site is very confusing and difficult to follow the different posts. some times it takes you to the post other times not even close, some times i am notified and other times not.

the biggest concern is the amount of spammers that get into this site

looking forward to seeing your FT

I am trying to repopulate some of my worm bins by pulling out the worms from 1 FT and 4 Worm Factories. I just take a hand full or two from those containers every other week or so. I have 16 Worms Bins stacked on shelves in the den and have added for the 2nd time to 8 of the bins.  I will repeat the process to all 16 Worm Bins until I have the population up. I wish I could find a device to actually tell me the number of worms in each container.  I plan on selling up to 20 lbs of worms later this year. I am holding off until May or June to start selling. I love to sell adults, but I don't like to sell a bunch of juveniles.     

i use a chipper, and it pulverizes the cardboard, but i have been concentrating on using horse manure for most of the food and bedding the last couple of months. the produce i have been mixing with the pile of mulched leaves. be interested to read what you found though. 

ok, how do you run all that stuff through the garbage disposal? you have to have it wet don't you? do you make a slush out of it? i brought home a garbage disposal last week and i've been stareing at it ever since! :-)

Fabulous information (from all). I'm going to do  this some time this week. I have so many preggo worms and their space is getting limited.  This should work very well right now.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service