vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

theres a saw mill about a km from me and i can get as much sawdust as i want.

if i were to soak it in water (maybe some food aswell) for a month first  to rot it faster,then drain and use for bedding?

any ways anythoughts would be great

and yes there would be pine/hard/soft wood all that in there

Views: 1591

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some wood is "pressure treated", which means it has been impregnated with preservative chemicals.  That can't be good for worms, or compost in general, either.  Link.

yuck!  :-)

everyone that takes wood there cuts it from the wood lot

There is a place with mountains of saw dust 4 km from my home and they load that onto train wagons. I went there to see if I can get a few bags. No such luck. The guy at the gate won't even let me through. He said I have to get a truck load at the least. What an @$$*%#&!!!

So now I go to Petsmart and get their used saw dust pellets from the bird cages which is much safer (I think) than having saw dust from the mill.

the larger grocery stores won't talk to you, i get my from a high end family owned grocery store and it is all fresh cut-offs from the produce section. picked up another 40-50lbs today. it saves them money on dumpster fees. i save them a dumpster bin of fees a month it's a win-win. talk to the owner. good luck!

Sue around here the cabinet and woodshops get paid for their sawdust, it goes back into particle board and OSB (flake board)

I wouldn't think the sawdust would contain the toxic wood preservative.  Just guessing, but it seems like they would treat the wood after it was milled.

Guru, what type of sawdust to you think would be best, or at least good?

Regards,

The used sawdust pellets I p/u from PS is pine.  I have used some of that to soak up moisture from under the FT and when I add that to the top, the temp. went up to 90 after a day, with ambient temp being 45. Good thing I added that to only 1 edge of the FT. That's one way to keep a bin warm I'd say.

I would love to learn more about this. We have previously fed my worms wood dust and shavings and it does wonders to the condition of the vermicompost and the worms haven't minded it so dummer and dummer here decided to bung some huon pine shavings into my worm farms. after I did it, I started worrying given that Huon pine is well known for it's ability to stay well preserved and to be resistant to worms that normally cause issues for timber boats. I couldn't really take it all out as I had already been truffling through the farm to cool it down after it got really warm one morning and there are shavings all through it. I have an horizontal system at the moment with one side full of castings that I am readying to harvest and a new side with a mix of things in it. I am away for a few days but I guess I will know if they have all moved back to the casting side whether or not they liked the huon pine. I just hope it doesn't kill them. It contains methyl eugenol. Tried to google info on whether this is toxic to compost worms but didn't get much of an answer. my second farm is new so only has stuff in one side and no where for them to go.

Well my worm farm had really heated up over the time I was away (the operational side not the nearly finished side) despite me moving them inside with the air conditioning. I had been feeding a bit more than usual so that could be why but I am guessing the wood shavings may have also heated things up. The worms are still in the side with the shavings but not that many. I put ice, cold packs and bottles of frozen water in my farms here anyway due to the heat, so I will continue to do this and provide plenty of water and hope that they move back to the new side. If not we will know that worms do not like that chemical and i will throw the whole lot into the compost heap and start the new side again.

Plenty of worms have moved back to the wood shaving sides especially after I added some more food scraps (which heated it up again grrr). My partner even pointed out some castings that were very bright blonde coloured. The colour of the pine. It's still pretty quiet in the new farm. There is at least one worm left but I didn't want to truffle through to much and disturb them. There was a lot of paper in the bottom from when I prepared the new farm so they might be concentrating on the paper for now. That one also got really hot when my partner was given the job of icing the worms and forgot that I now have two! Both farms have had a dose of ice from the eskis (chilly/chiller bins) that we used last night for a work social event. This should cool them right off (and keep them cool during this pre-cyclonic (hurricane) weather and hopefully encourage some cocoon laying.

So I think with Huon pine which contains methyl eugenol, it would pay to let it sit for a bit and let some of the eugenol evaporate off before bunging in your worm farm. Woodshaving that I know our worms always enjoy is Jarrah, a West Australian wood. They are always in it quickly after it has been put in the farm.

thanks for the update

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service