vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

Ihave a worm factory how many worms can you put in 1 bin ? now how many bins can you work at one time. Just interesting to know

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just retrofitted my big worm bin with the cable slicer.Only thing is the gaps are too narrow to let the vc fall through.I got a bad back and knees.That is why you can lay under my bins.LOL! Bad thing about stackables is you got to pick them all up to get to the bottom one.I got one with 24" boxes.And they don't sink into each other.Try picking one of those up.I use them for sifting and drying now.

Sam - I may try that stick method.  Thanks.  I may also put it up on 6-8 inch cinder blocks.  I did that last summer while it was outside and I liked the height.

I use two floor jacks with wheels to lift and move the bins.

When I first started the wf I put a few sheets of balled up paper in the reservoir.A very first make sure the spiget is open.lol found that out the hard way i think a gallon came out.kinda stinky.

20 bins isnt so bad. My sister grinds up a five gallon bucket of veggies and I go over and feed them.That is the real work,the rest if fun. I mix it with balled up paper and feed one side and leave the un feed side. The next time I pull up the unfeed side and pick out the big chunks of stuff mostly paper and put it back on the last fed side,then feed the last feed side.The next time most of the worms have moved over to the last fed side and i scoop out the almost worm free stuff and put it on the lid and let the worms go down and sift. some times it takes a few feeds before i have anything to sift. The sifted stuff in full of coccons and  wait for them to hatch out and pick the little ones out and use the vc. I am really hoping the FT will solve this. Cant wait to get rid of all these bins. I am going to keep the Euros in bins,I think it will be easier to care for them in bins. everything else will be in the FT. One smaller Ft will only be red wigglers which I will sell from.The big Ft will be more for Vc since they will be mixed worms and I dont want to pick threw 15 bins.

ffffewww that was another 2 cents.

I got few Worm Farms, bins and a Worm Wigwam that has a heater. Each has it's ups and downs, a flow thru is the best bet. The Worm Farms and bins are in the den during the Winter, the flow thru sits in a cold garage.  

I would say no more that 1 lbs per bin and no more that 4 lbs in the stack of bins. Otherwise they will want to escape and stop laying cocoons. It is a balancing act.

Here are 2 quotes from vermicomposting books I read ages ago.  It quatifies the balancing act that Glenn is talking about.

"To maximize reproduction, Initial stocking densities greater than 2.5 kg/m2 (0.5 lb/ft2) but not more than 5 kg/m2 (1.0 lb/ft2). It is possible to get worm densities up to as much as 20 kg/m2 or 4 lbs per square foot"

"initial stocking density greater than a half pound (500 worms) per sq. foot but not more than a pound per sq foot (1000 worms). You wait and split the herd when the population reaches 2 pounds per sq foot."

The idea is that if you don't have very many, they have trouble finding each other to reproduce.  If you have to many, they shut down their own reproduction to avoid starvation.  Which end of the spectrum you decide to go for depends on what you're trying to do.  In the beginning, I was trying to get the worms to increase in number and wasn't as concerned with VC production.  I went with the lower end of the density.  Now, I've got enough worms and enough VC, so I just let them control their own population.  I should probably go get some used coffee grounds from my local coffee shop and split my herd.

The 'per square foot' bit refers to surface area of the top of your bin.  With flow through methods, that suck air in to the middle of the VC mass, you can have higher densities.

On page 2 of the comments, Betsy said "Yes- the tower trays can get heavy.....and messy, with VC and worms coming out the bottom. That's why I like the Worm Inn. Easy to keep, easy to harvest...it's really a brilliant idea." on the previous page.  The Worm in is basically a cloth flow through.  It is a great idea.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service