I finally got time to put my flow through bin together. It turned out well and didn't take long. I'll walk you through the process.
Here's the bin after a light washing but before any modification. From the looks of it, it's former life was a a paper recycling bin, so there wasn't much washing to be done, thankfully.
The design is pretty standard, and will look familiar to anyone who has been around the web looking at worm bin pictures. First step was to measure off my door. I went with 11" wide so I could get a dustpan in there. If I remember correctly the height is around 8". Then I drilled one hole in the centre of the bin, 1" above my door. Here it is with one rod in place:
Of course, the next step is measuring off the rest of the holes (I used the garden fork I'll be scraping with to get the measurements, placement ended up being about 1 1/4" apart) in the front and the back, and drilling them. Then placing the rods in (I used permanent stakes since I had them already, and they are pretty strong and coated in plastic so they won't rust) and cutting out the door with a jigsaw. After the rods were in I cut them with a saws-all so they weren't sticking out as much. Here's a picture before I did that, so you can see them sticking way out the back.
Here's a view inside:
After that it was brought inside and I dumped the contents of my oldest stack bin inside, after lining the grating with three pieces of newspaper to help prevent fall-through. This is pretty well processed stuff which I could use in my garden, but I wanted to use it here instead so I can give the system a while before I harvest, and to give the worms a place to go if things get bad anywhere.
One surprise was the bins I had set up just a few days ago, before I got this wheeled bin. The amount of processing the worms had done in a matter of days was really impressive. 4-5 lbs of worms are eating machines! It's tough to see in this pic but maybe you can get an idea.
Finally, I took the unprocessed bedding out of my two bins, dumped the working sections on top of my older compost, added some fresh food, and then put the bedding back on top of it all.
Here is the finished product in its final home:
Since I've read that flow through systems can get on the dry side (which will be a nice change of pace let me tell you) I haven't drilled any holes in the lid. I've got 9 large holes around the perimeter at the top, and those should give good airflow without a lot of evaporation. If I find things are still too wet, I might drill some holes in the top as well.
I must say, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this baby can do. It should hit the ground running because there is at least 10 lbs of worms in there.
I'm also looking forward to not blending (or possibly even freezing) my food scraps anymore...