vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

I have stated my Vermicompost I two Utility Sinks with a 1000 Red Worms in each one, the bedding is 7 inches deep of equal part of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss and Black Kow Manure.

I put two quarts of water over the top each each week and it drains out the drain hole.

When does the become Worm Tea? 

Can you use this without adding water to it?

There are different systems of doing vermicompost does anyone do it the way I am doing it?

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The substance that is coming from your sink drain is actually a lechate. Great for nutrients for plants, but does not have the same benefits as worm tea....worm tea is actually steeped, like your cup of green tea, for a period of 24-48 hours in aireated, use an aquarium air stone, non chlorinated water with about a pound of castings per 5 gallons and a few tablespoons of mollases to spur a bacterial outbreak....these bacteria once put on plants help fix nitrogen to the soil and can actually act as an insecticide on your garden\lawn....any more questions just ask :)

welcome to the forum John, sounds like ya got a good setup, I just wanted to point out that one of the main benefits of a worm bin is to keep organic scraps out of the landfills where they compost anaerobically creating methane which is a greenhouse gas.

Using peat, a non-renewable resource which keeps carbon dioxide, another greenhouse gas out of the atmosphere by locking up carbon kind of defeats that benefit.

Coir is good alternative, it's made from shredded coconut shells which otherwise would be thrown away and is an environmentally friendly alternative to peat that worms love.

oc

Where can you buy Coir?

I have never seen it around here.

Can you re-use the drip water and put it over your worm beds? I did . Is that a NO NO?

Just how much water should one put over the bed? An how often?

You should find coir at a nursery, it does the same job as peatmoss more or less.

nurseries, hydroponic shops, and any store with a garden center should carry Coir, at Home Depot it's sold in compressed bricks  as "Beats Peat" and as "Beyond Peat" at Home Hardware, I spend a bit more and buy Cocogro from the local hydroponics shop as it has a bit better texture and is pre rinsed, I use it in my container garden and then for bedding.

I've never had any leachate, from what I've read about it though if I did get some I'd use it to inoculate my compost pile if I had one, or my septic tank if I didn't. Putting it over your worm bed shouldn't be a problem unless it makes your bedding too wet.

how much water varies with climate, temperature, bedding, bin size and composition, ect, ect, ect, as a rule of thumb though, if you take a handful of bedding and squeeze it as hard as you can (please remove any worms first :) and more than a few drops of water come out it's too wet, if no water comes out it's too dry.

I haven't added any water to my bin since the 3rd week, I use a RubberMaid tub and it stays about right with the moisture in the scraps I feed.

One of the forum members here, Ben I think discovered that paper egg cartons are great for watering a worm bin, cover the top of your bin with them and fill them full of water and it'll slowly seep into the bin wetting it uniformly and thoroughly.

Hope that helps

oc

I used leachate just once and made worm tea. I am not a chemist but if the microbes are doing well the liquid coming out should make a suitable mixture. You will still need to add the proper food source and arureate mixture. Once you get a 2 to 3 inch froth it should be ready to use.

To me worm tea is all about the microbes plus the additions of additives (food) given to the worms to digest. Then you can add additional items such as cinders, rock dust, seaweed, ect

My conclusion is to start out with a load of mature casting. You will need to follow the instruction, then once 2 to 3 inches of froth form it should be ready to use.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service