vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

I'm certain there are more, so please let me know which ones I missed. I can add new ones later. I've listed them from smallest to largest. Let me know if the specs are wrong...some are unpublished. Most are listed as total capacity including the harvesting chamber.
Josh's bucket (5 gal.)
Ben's 5 gal. Nested FT
Sue's 6 gal. FT
Pat James' mini-FT with harvesting rods (~7 gal.)
Garden Citizen's Transparent FT (~12 gal.)
Peter Barnard's FTs (12, 25 & 60 gal.) and Peter's schematic
Susan B's small trash can (13 gal.?)
Steven's mini FT (13 gal.)
Nic's converted storage bin (18 gal.)
Andrew's modular bin (18-36 gal.)
Amy Youngs' worm bin bag (~30 gal.)
Craig's FT (~30 gal.)
Sharon's FT (~30 gal.)
Bones' square bin (32 gal.)
Lisa's roughneck bin (32 gal.?)
Darni's converted recycle bin
Aniston's wooden bin (~35 gal?)
Darni's wooden bin
Larry's (garbage guru) "mini" FT
geaux_worms's Walmart bin (45 gal.)
Stephen McGuire's garbage can FT (45 gal.)
Ben's insulated VB24 (~45 gal.)
Larry Strezo's cedar FT with heating tubes (~46 gal.)
Z-Mark's sub-$50 FT (46 gal.)
Richard's 50 gal. Worm Palace FT
Eve's hi-tech heated reactor (55 gal.)
Catherine's converted composter
Gardenweb bin (splitsec002's 55 gal.)
Bill's 55 gal. blue barrel
The Schwartz's barrel (55 gal.?)
Greg's wood bin (?)
Steve Lambert's FT barrel (58 gal.)
Rebecca Wilson's first FT (~58 gal.)
Don Dillon's first FT (~60 gal.)
Pat James' Wooden FT with harvesting rods (~60 gal.) [photos on pg. 3]
Jason's blue bin (~65 gal./240 Litres)
Don's 65 gal. tough barrel
Brett's mini OSCR-type FT (~90 gal.)
Sue's 96 gal. grey monster
Mark from Kansas' OSCR (200 gal.)
Larry's (garbage guru) 4' x 8' OSCR
Joe's 250 gal. VB96 [scroll down for link]
pyropunk's railroad tie FT (250 gal.)
Mark Shaw's OSCR-like bins (big & really big)

Views: 87115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about that, GC. I meant to add this to the list.
Hey, I made it to the top of the list! The TOP, man! Of course, that also means my bin is the smallest, but still the top. Wahooo!
Simple pleasures, Josh. :-) So how's the mini bin going?
I've read that you don't want depth but more surface area. I would think that the 55gal FT would be too high. The surface area is close to a Rubbermaid bin. Can't you only add what the worms can consume and make the area they are in compost castings before adding more bedding and food? I was wondering if a 55 gal. barrel on its side built like what a grill would work better? More surface area. Still have the "grating" and opened ends to harvest compost castings. You wouldn't necessarily have to split it in the middle. Could go up a ways to give you little more depth. Whats everyone's thought?
With a flow-through you can go deeper than a closed bin and still keep optimum conditions. That's why they're ideal for the domestic setting- they have a smaller footprint for their processing ability. The top six inches are the most active but as air comes in from the bottom, the lower layers are still good for the worms to live in.
Welcome to the forum, Brett.

Theoretically you want 18-20" of depth in order for the flow through system to work as designed. Along with controlled feed rate, this depth should mean that VC harvested from the bottom will be relatively free of cocoons & baby worms. I don't have a 55 gal. bin, but I think the depth above the grating is something like 25" - so it's not really that deep. The harvest chamber at the bottom takes up 1/3 of the volume.

You want large surface area in stackable or closed systems because they do not have the bottom to top airflow a flow through system has. A flow through made with a barrel on its side would have almost too much airflow and not enough depth to allow cocoons to hatch. You would then have the same harvesting "issues" a Rubbermaid bin has.

Commercial flow through systems have both large surface area and sufficient depth. Of course they populate a large system with sufficient density of worms. The 14.1 sq. ft of the Dirtmaker will need 7-14 lbs. to start with in order to build up the population quickly. The DIY 55 gal. barrels listed here can do well with just 2-5 lbs. to start.
Thanks Andrew that makes sense. Are there issues with the VC coming out the bottom? Getting stuck from being wet then dry? "Caking" to the bottom? Also, I'm wondering where to place it. Spring-Summer outside in shade. Winter in the garage? Will this still produce well? Yes, no problem moving it around.
I haven't harvested yet, so I don't know what will happen. I've read accounts where a "cave" forms once you start harvesting. Basically the compost compacts and forms a stiff enough structure that it forms a roof over the grating. The VC eventually settles and touches the grating again. I'm hoping the "roll the bin" harvesting will help settle the VC so the cave effect does not occur.

Unfortunately my bin is not portable. If it were, I would probably put it somewhere it could get a few hours of winter sun. Of course winters here are mild. Whatever you can do to keep bin temps 70-80F is "best". It's been fairly easy to maintain 57-70F in a climate that only dips into the high 30s at night.

Check out this sub-group Worm bin heater users for more extreme measures.
It's a great idea to conglomerate all these bin threads/designs. If I had a resource like this when I was starting I would have loved it. For anyone either getting into vermicomposting or thinking of putting together a flow-through system, this is a great place to start.

Also, for anyone wondering, my bin is actually just under 65 gallons (240 Litres, since there is a question mark in my bin description)...
Thanks for the data, Jason. I've updated the list.

Anyone else?
One more bin. Pyropunk hasn't been on the forum for a while and he did post this on another forum, but his flow through is different enough to get a mention. Pyropunks FT pdf

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service