vermicomposters.com

Vermicomposting, worm bin, composting with worms community and forums

Im about to begin a worm bin again and i have my sights set on the canadian nightcrawler. I have raised euros/africans in the past but i didn't like how they were so small in size. I need the larger size of canadians for fishing. I dont know much about them but i do want to be successful at raising them.

I just bought a 1.7 cu ft mini fridge to make sure the temperature of my bin doesnt exceed 60 degrees. Down here in texas, temps get hot inside or out.

I am about to go buy some potting soil in which to place into plastic rubbermaid tubs. These will be the confines of my worms.

I have read around and it seems canadians dont like veggie scraps as much as the other worms. Apparently they prefer grains? I dont know what to feed them.

Can someone please give me some more tips on raising these big worms. Please dont try to convince me to switch to other worms just yet as i have made an investment to try out canadians. :)

Tags: african, bin, canadian, eisena, european, fetida, hortensis, lumbricus, nightcrawler, red, More…wiggler, worm, wriggler

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do you need a worm so big that an EE or EH won't suffice?We catch 10 pound bass on 6" worms.In Texas you're gonna need to have some serious AC in my opinion.I don't even like fishing with them.In Florida's heat,they die as soon as you expose them to our humidity.Not saying you won't succeed at it.But one day you might have a room full of them.Next minute the power goes out,and you'll have 100% death rate.They'll never make it outside.Just google IKittle and ask him about them.Not many will mess with raising Dew worms.He should be able to help you.Good luck!

Have you ever caught a largemouth with EF?   I have a pond in my pasture with Catfish, Largemouth and Hybrid Bluegill.   I've never caught a bass or catfish with EF, but the Bluegill seem to like them just fine.

Hi Trex 8692 and all;   First lets talk about the natural environmental concerns for the subject species Lumbricus terrestris ,known by common names of Canadian nightcrawler or Northamerican nightcrawler,Dew worm and a few others.

The requirements are temps that are below 65 deg F. They do best in the 48-58 deg F. range. They are most active in that 10 degree range.

The bedding should be approximatly 6 inches deep and the best is a material called BUSS-Bedding. It iscardboard that is fine and light from a hammermill. It is available from Magic.com in 25lb packages or Wal-Mart in smaller 2&5 lb. packages. http://magicproducts.com/

The best bins are also at the mentioned site. They are made from foam.

The worms themselves take a year to mature to about 4-6 inches 6-8 inch worms take upto 2 years Full adult size. They will age to 15-20 years. Reach a very large size of a foot long. Some that I have isolated only breed when removed from prospective partners after they are more than 4-5 years old. I am certain that other species are similar in the reprodutive drive. Old adults seem to squirm togather around the outer edges of the bins.

When you do get ready to go fishing with these big worms you must keep them cool and fo course damp. Take the unused ones home and put back in the bin.

I have some more info at :http://thegardenforums.org/   It is in the vermiculture pages topic http://www.thegardenforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9692

Places like golf courses don't like them at all.Some places use old school methods to harvest them.Especially from golf courses.They don't raise them in captivity,or necessarily pick them up at night.One of the main methods is put on a pair of rubber boots,drive two steel rods in the ground at a distance,and connect one rod to the positive of a car battery,and one to the negative.The worms come up out of their burrows.Then they wind up on shelves at Wal-mart,etc.Golf courses actually pay people to remove worms in some areas.Just google it.Me?I love the middens they make.Golfers?Hell no!

Betsy; The fishing section of walley world. Amazon.com also sells it too. The best price is magic however, so if you can wait order it from them delivered by UPS.

Thanks for your replies guys!

I dont use EE and EH anymore because i find they are too small for catfish. However, i might try them out again in the future. I had trouble growing them to sizes past 4 inches. The diet i gave them was oatmeal and veg scraps.

Laurenkittle@: ive been lurking these forums for quite awhile and finally am able to talk to you! You seem to be a lumbricus raising expert, so i thought you might be my best help. I do not plan on growing lumbricus in huge amounts, i just want a small sustainable culture to have ready for fishing at any time.

I feel that the mini fridge i bought will be good enough to keep them in. In case of power outtage i have a good amount of icepacks to last awhile, hehe.

Iis there any way for me to talk to you directly lkittle? Pm, email? Thanks all

trex8692;   email LKittleJr@aol.com. Anyone that I can help may ask a? to that mail address. I also may be reached here by the mail button.

Hi trex8692 and all  If you are planing a fishing trip and know it a few days in advance. Heres a trick try it.

Take the worms you plan to use plus a few extra and place them in well dampened peatmoss leave them 24 hours. Then put them in cool aireated water 55 deg f for Lts, 65 deg f for Efs & Ehs 70 deg f EEs let them soak 8-12 hrs then back into the peatmoss sprinkle with oatmeal and powdered eggshells or wormchow from purena.

The worms outer skin is toughened by the acid in the peatmoss. The water bath firms the muscle structer and the  food keeps their energy level up during your fishing trip.

This all makes the bait firmer and livelier during use.

Hey Lauren, so the worms wont drown?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Steven Chow.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service